The amazing growth of Emery Dean Toothaker!
Lilypie Baby Ticker

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Two Weeks Old!

Finally got another chance to post. It is amazing to me just how much time such a little being takes up- especially considering he spends most of his time sleeping! Things are going well though, we're getting into somewhat of a routine it guess... Here's the routine: he sleeps, I sleep. He wakes up, I change him and give him the boob. In between boobs he shits and I change him again. I give him the other boob, then he projectiles all over the both of us. I change him into new clothes (whereas I just strip out of the soiled articles and put something else on when I get the chance. I need to remember to close the drapes when I do this- one of these days my neighbor is going to get quite the show!) and finish burping him. He shits again. I change him again. I rock him to sleep and things are good for another three hours. Its the endless cycle of peeing, shitting, eating, burping, spitting up and sleeping... ahhh to be an infant!

My mom left yesterday. It was hard for all involved. She is so enamored with her new grandson, she cried all the way home :( . I had my first night without her help and things went pretty well. Adam has stepped up to the plate and got up to help me get him situated at the breast and get me water and stuff- go Dad go! We are adjusting just fine, but I am still missing my mom terribly... She'll be back at New Year's, and we'll be so happy to have her! :)

Emery had his 7-10 day check-up at the doctor's this Wednesday. He's doing very well. He weighed in at 8 lb 11oz, which is awesome considering that he was at 7lb 6oz at his 3 day check-up. He gained over a pound in 8 days! He's a good eater, that's for sure!

Speaking of eating... the breastfeeding is finally going well. It was difficult at first, getting him latched on just right so he didn't blister and crack my nipples. The first days were the worst. With my raging hormones I just cried and fretted about it, thinking that it would never get better. The lactation consultants tell you that you should never hear any sucking sounds when things are right, and whenever I would hear even a peep out of him while he was on the breast I would worry that he was doing more damage to my nipples and soon I wouldn't be able to breastfeed at all. Thanks to Michel, Anne and Heather for their words of support, it made me realize I just needed to chill out!

Well, the kid is fussing for the boob! I'll write more when I get the chance!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home